Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Off Topic on Adult (=regenerative) cell technology, but very much related i.e. pills and drugs of which we do not know if they work
  • Page:

TOPIC: EU banking question

EU banking question 29 Aug 2019 19:40 #13195

• myownhedgefund
  • myownhedgefund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
Fas or other EU members.

With negative interest rates in the news so much lately I am curious how the local bank in member EU countries treat customer accounts ?
Can you still get a positive rate of return in various cash accounts ?
I know the government stuff yields a negative rate but I would guess that besides Central Banks its only large institutions who mess with that stuff.
I know here in the US when rate went to zero (0.0 to 0.25 target range) during the "great recession" one could still get something on cash although the money center banks basically gave you nothing.
Curious from a macro economic standpoint and if one day negative rates end up here.
Any offerings/comments helpful.

Disclosures:
1. Kept my promise Fas and had Sweet Green for dinner last night ! :grin: :winky:

2. Out of AVMXY for now While the purchases weren't particularly large they were all sub $5 and thus had a nice percentage gain that I decided to book given the next few weeks will be busy for me and at times I will have limited to zero access to markets. I think the low hanging fruit for them is easily 40-60% of the burn market and it may grow well beyond that...who knows...but I also liked the play for full NASDAQ listing that should result in a pop from hours to days. My plan was to sell that pop anyway. Happy with what I was able to gain over approx. 3 week span. May play again in the future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EU banking question 30 Aug 2019 10:41 #13196

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1116
Hedge- individual private customers do not seem to be effected by the central bank policies so far- I looked at very conservative ways to get at least a minimum return from a big chunk of money, of which a big part was destined to go back to the tax authorities (my Lord of the rings III financing), but did not find any and that money has parked in my private bank account for 18 months until "they" came calling, without any return, albeit also without any penalties.

I think its more an issue for savings and loan & cooperative banks who´s margins on lending have shrunk and now with the protectionist policies being implemented around the globe, that only will get worse since monetary policy to stimulate the economy, will be used to the extreme, but surely will not prevent a global recession. From an investor standpoint, it is time to look at short front again (but without me though)

I do not think negative interest rates will end up anywhere on a "private" level, but certainly will squeeze the bank sector.
The following user(s) said Thank You: myownhedgefund

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

EU banking question 30 Aug 2019 11:09 #13197

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Fas, that was helpful.
It will be curious to see where the next few years takes us.

EU banking question 31 Aug 2019 10:34 #13198

• rodney.strongg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

myownhedgefund wrote: Thank you Fas, that was helpful.
It will be curious to see where the next few years takes us.

/

HF, my feeling is that much of "where the next few years takes us" in terms of the health of the domestic economy and its debt level will be decided in November, 2020.

EU banking question 31 Aug 2019 19:24 #13199

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well I am a big fan/follower of demographics and believe that will be a large, if not some what invisible, hand guiding the world. Both western and eastern aspects.
Otherwise, I want to tread lightly on the political front.
Not what the board is for and not what Fas wants...which I happen to agree with.
I am not saying that was your intension RS...I just don't want to start the discussion. Thank you for your input.

EU banking question 19 Sep 2019 17:34 #13244

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well it looks like some banks are indeed going after larger depositors with negative rates.
For now it appears one can simply spread ones money around and have less in more banks to avoid the fees.
www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-19/credit-suisse-to-charge-rich-clients-for-swiss-franc-deposits

EU banking question 20 Sep 2019 09:23 #13245

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1116
I still think it will never "reach" Joe Blow with average cash deposits below say 25.000 Euro.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

EU banking question 20 Sep 2019 19:33 #13246

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Your probably right Fas, at least I hope so.

EU banking question 23 Sep 2019 08:31 #13254

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Denmark bank broadens negative rates on depositors.
Still not Fas' 25K Joe Blow Euros but getting closer with $,100,100 and a deeper charge at -0.75%
www.reuters.com/article/denmark-rates-jyske-bank/update-1-denmarks-jyske-bank-lowers-its-negative-rates-on-deposits-idUSL5N26B1AA

Interesting not only for how will depositors and economies respond but Denmark's largest bank still charges nothing.

EU banking question 23 Sep 2019 09:34 #13255

• rodney.strongg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

myownhedgefund wrote: Denmark bank broadens negative rates on depositors.
Still not Fas' 25K Joe Blow Euros but getting closer with $,100,100 and a deeper charge at -0.75%
www.reuters.com/article/denmark-rates-jyske-bank/update-1-denmarks-jyske-bank-lowers-its-negative-rates-on-deposits-idUSL5N26B1AA

Interesting not only for how will depositors and economies respond but Denmark's largest bank still charges nothing.

/

HF - negative interest rates s/b no surprise - did you see latest economic numbers for Europe - Germany factory production terrible - US is the envy of the Free World except in our US media - LOL.

EU banking question 23 Sep 2019 09:39 #13256

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
***did you see latest economic numbers for Europe***

I did, thanks.
This subject also shows why demand for US paper has pushed rates so low.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites