Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Cytori´s Platform applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bone growth with ADRCs- it works!

Bone growth with ADRCs- it works! 27 Feb 2015 06:45 #3556

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
Unfortunately Basel University gave up on ROBUST after 8 patients, since recruitment was too slow.

Such event tend to occur when a technology is still totally unknown by the general public, which however surely will change. :really: At the same time marco Helder was conducting a pilot for bone growth in a dental application in Amsterdam.

The clinic is conducted with Celution and before applying the cells to the matrix, they are briefly exposed to RhBMP-2. I always thought that was an "invention" by Adam/Basel Unis, but recently found a really "antique paper" from Hedrick and Min Zhu (amongst others) indicating they discovered that already before 2002 and before they joined cytori.

So- honor where honor is due- the paper I have attached to this post.

The results that Marco Helder reported at IFATS in November 2014 were as follows:

A PHASE I TRIAL FOR MAXILLARY BONE AUGMENTATION WITH ADIPOSE STEM CELLS AND CALCIUM PHOSPHATE SCAFFOLDS; EVALUATION OF A ONE-STEP SURGICAL PROCEDURE
Presenter: Marco N. Helder, PhD Author: Helder MN VU University Medical Center
Patients with insufficient maxillary bone height may require maxillary sinus floor elevation (MSFE) prior to dental implant placement. Currently, bone substitutes are used as an alternative for the ‘gold standard’, i.e. autologous bone. However, bone substitutes only allow osteoconduction, since viable osteogenic cells are lacking. Cell-based bone tissue engineering is a promising technique to improve the bone forming capacity of bone substitutes. In a government-sponsored phase I trial, we evaluated feasibility, safety and efficacy of combining a calcium phosphate (CaP) as bone substitute with freshly isolated adipose stem cells during a one-step surgical procedure for MSFE.
Osteoinductive carriers (CaP seeded with the freshly isolated stromal vascular fraction of adipose tissue) were generated in an intra-operative procedure in the OR-complex within hours, thereby avoiding costly stem cell expansions and a second intervention. Where possible, a ‘split mouth design’ (with only CaP scaffold at the contralateral control side) was applied to allow efficacy evaluation. Adverse events were monitored, and clinical, X-ray, and Cone-beam CT data are collected at regular intervals during follow-up.
After six months biopsies are obtained during dental implant placement, and evaluated for bone formation by histomorphometry and μCT. So far, we included 10 patients. All patients uneventfully underwent an MSFE procedure and no adverse effects were reported during 2 year follow-up. Bone as well as osteoid percentage were higher in bone biopsies taken from study sides than control sides throughout the complete biopsies, suggesting that bone formation does not only occur from the pre-existing sinus floor, and that adipose stem cells may stimulate bone formation.
This study demonstrated for the first time the feasibility, safety and potential efficacy of freshly isolated adipose stem cells with a calcium phosphate for MSFE, and provides the first step towards a novel treatment concept that might offer broad potential for cell-based regenerative medicine applications.

It works. :cool:

File Attachment:

File Name: 2003-Journal_of_Orthopaedic_Research.pdf
File Size: 891 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Bone growth with ADRCs- it works! 27 Feb 2015 15:59 #3571

• CalhounDoppelganger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
This is jaw dropping. I initially didnt contemplate the correlation between ADRC's and bone growth but the catalyst will always be promotion of blood vessel growth which are the highways for nutrient deposits. Thus, bones grow better. Makes sense to me (or maybe I am oversimplifying).

I still think the FDA should approve celution across the board and Cytori should just quadruple the cost to use it. It'll become part of the elitists medicine cabinet. Let the rest of the socialized medicine countries eat cake!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites