Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Cytori´s Platform applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: Case Report on Radiation Damage- BARDA?

Case Report on Radiation Damage- BARDA? 12 Sep 2016 06:19 #7654

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
Yeah- Dog Days Over? :yep:

A scientific article published in the August 2016 edition of Health Physics presents a report of a worker who received an estimated radiation dose of 12-19Gy to his thumb in an industrial accident. Delivery of 12-19Gy to the whole body would be fatal; when delivered to a subset of the body it results in substantial tissue destruction. The patient was evaluated and followed at the Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site in Oak Ridge, TN. After recurrent persistent tissue breakdown following conventional therapy—including 90 hyperbaric oxygen treatments—the patient was referred for treatment using Cytori® Cell TherapyTM.
The patient received a single treatment of Cytori Cell Therapy and, 13 months later, the tissue remained healed with an improvement in symptoms. The article can be found by following this link.
This single case report illustrates the potential value Cytori Cell Therapy in treating the chronic effects of radiation damage to tissue. Cytori has an active contract with the US government to fund up to $106m of preclinical and clinical development activities associated with use of Cytori Cell Therapy in burns, including those complicated by radiation exposure. Preclinical research performed under this contract has reported that Cytori Cell Therapy leads to accelerated healing of cutaneous burns in animals exposed to sub-lethal full body irradiation (manuscript under review, link to release here). The data from this research showed more rapid healing of the outer skin layer, termed epithelialization, higher blood vessel density, and greater collagen deposition. Importantly, the radiation dose received by the patient’s thumb in this case report was considerably greater than that used in our preclinical studies. This suggests a broader potential value of our technology to the US government and the medical community extending to injuries related to radiation alone, as well as those with thermal injury complicated by radiation exposure (the basis of our present contract).

Well- you never know. Several years back- we knew already from Akita, that ADRCs does many good things to ARS patients. On the skin though- but now with IV accepted as a method of delivery by the FDA, more should be possible. ADRCs would do wonders in the gastrointestinal tract of ARS patients, I think. ARS= Acute Radiation Syndrom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Case Report on Radiation Damage- BARDA? 12 Sep 2016 06:21 #7655

• fas
The paper - source Central PubMed...

Case Report: Industrial X-Ray Injury Treated With Non-Cultured Autologous Adipose-Derived Stromal Vascular Fraction (SVF).
Iddins CJ1, Cohen SR, Goans RE, Wanat R, Jenkins M, Christensen DM, Dainiak N.
Author information
1*Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site, Oak Ridge, TN; †Division of Plastic Surgery,, University of California, San Diego, CA; ‡MJW Corporation, Amherst, NY; §TriHealth, Cincinnati, OH; **Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT.
Abstract
Local cutaneous injuries induced by ionizing radiation (IR) are difficult to treat. Many have reported local injection of adipose-derived stromal vascular fraction (SVF), often with additional therapies, as an effective treatment of IR-induced injury even after other local therapies have failed. The authors report a case of a locally recurrent, IR-induced wound that was treated with autologous, non-cultured SVF without other concurrent therapy. A nondestructive testing technician was exposed to 130 kVp x rays to his non-dominant right thumb on 5 October 2011. The wound healed 4 mo after initial conservative therapy with oral/topical α-tocopherol, oral pentoxifylline, naproxen sodium, low-dose oral steroids, topical steroids, hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), oral antihistamines, and topical aloe vera. Remission lasted approximately 17 mo with one minor relapse in July 2012 after minimal trauma and subsequent healing. Aggressive wound breakdown during June 2013 required additional therapy with HBOT. An erythematous, annular papule developed over the following 12 mo (during which time the patient was not undergoing prescribed treatment). Electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) done more than 2 mo after exposure to IR revealed dose estimates of 14 ± 3 Gy and 19 ± 6 Gy from two centers using different EPR techniques. The patient underwent debridement of the 0.5 cm papular area, followed by SVF injection into and around the wound bed and throughout the thumb without complication. Eleven months post SVF injection, the patient has been essentially asymptomatic with an intact integument. These results raise the possibility of prolonged benefit from SVF therapy without the use of cytokines. Since there is currently no consensus on the use of isolated SVF therapy in chronic, local IR-induced injury, assessment of this approach in an appropriately powered, controlled trial in experimental animals with local radiation injury appears to be indicated.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Case Report on Radiation Damage- BARDA? 12 Sep 2016 20:46 #7658

• franshei
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 103
FAS,

I there are three areas of focus. Scleroderma, BARDA, and Marketing.

1. Scleroderma. Does stem cells therapy works. Yes, it does, but it has been used in combination with cytoxan (an alkylating agent) in the most serious kind of scleroderma (death has been reported in these trials). As Dr. Khanna of Michigan has pointed out selection of patients dictates the clinical outcome. I think based on rather extensive clinical testings, originated from Michigan and Northwestern, as well as the Cytori French study (in which stem cells is used along), CYTORI would be careful in selecting the right patients for the STAR trials: moderate to serious illness without organ involvement.

The question remains (based on the recent OA trial): would placebo effect be significant. Scleroderma is actually a progressive illness. Though acupuncture (usually multiple punctures are needed) has been found useful to increase micro circulation, I doubt single acupuncture would have lasting benefit over a year long.

2. BARDA. I think BARDA supported phase 1 trial in thermal damage will come i high gear soon. Dr. Marino is the perfect star for the show. I think stem cells will be administered IV (and maybe topically ?). The IV use will broaden the use of the celution system in various illnesses, including systemic sclerosis, Crohn's lllness, etc.

3. Marketing. John Harris is the star. Just look at the the CYTORI products columns: Lorem Vascular is now selling celase and this flunky outfit is still listed as a sales and marketing partner for the celution system.

Looking forward to hear what Hedrick has to say tomorrow in NYC.

Just my opinions.

Case Report on Radiation Damage- BARDA? 12 Sep 2016 21:40 #7659

• Joncon63
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
How did this treatment come about? Have there been other human treatments in the U.S.?

Case Report on Radiation Damage- BARDA? 14 Sep 2016 08:42 #7666

• fas

Joncon63 wrote: How did this treatment come about? Have there been other human treatments in the U.S.?

This was way before the right to try state legislations, so according to memory they must have asked for treatment approval at the FDA. From what I remember that is a cumbersome process, which not many people want to go through...so, do not expect any other anecdotal stuff on that front and if there were Hedrick wouldnt tell us anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joncon63

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites