Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 01 Mar 2015 21:58 #3595

• joeycav11
  • joeycav11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
good for the sector! Chugai recently partnered with Roche
www.chugai-pharm.co.jp/english/news/detail/20150302083000.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 01 Mar 2015 23:06 #3596

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 201
If only Cytori had a plan for Japan...LOL !

So how do we judge the ATHX deal with data due in about 2 months ? Seems like a bit of hedging to me but still making a deal for this indication where the path to market is now far quicker its not a bad deal. No warrants and just Japan for 1 indication. Also noticed the mention of the exchange rate as they switched to yen for the sales milestone. Something I have mentioned as a factor in Japan going forward and now a Euro issue as well.

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 04:14 #3597

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1114
Congrats to Gil and all ATHX longs. Looks like a fair deal for just one indication of which results are not generally known yet.

Chuigai must have had some data to make them comfortable closing the deal. :whistle:

March 2, 2015 (CLEVELAND, TOKYO) – Athersys, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHX) and Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 4519) have announced a partnership and license agreement to exclusively develop and commercialize MultiStem® cell therapy for ischemic stroke in Japan. Ischemic stroke represents a priority disease area in Japan, given the high healthcare burden of the condition and the expected increase in incidence associated with Japan’s aging population.

Athersys’ proprietary cell therapy product, MultiStem, is currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 clinical study for ischemic stroke in the United States and Europe, and Athersys has begun preparations for clinical development in Japan, including engagement with the Japanese Health Authority. Chugai is a leading research-based pharmaceutical company with strengths in biotechnology products, and brings to the collaboration substantial expertise and experience in late-stage development and commercialization in Japan.

“We are delighted to have concluded a license agreement with Athersys for the development and marketing of MultiStem, a very innovative cell therapy under clinical development,” said President and Chief Operation Officer at Chugai, Tatsuro Kosaka. “By combining Chugai’s strong expertise in biological pharmaceuticals, we hope to bring MultiStem to the Japanese healthcare system as a new treatment modality during the critical phase of ischemic stroke.”

“We are excited to be working with Chugai in this important area and look forward to combining our respective capabilities and expertise to successfully develop and commercialize MultiStem for the treatment of ischemic stroke in Japan,” said Dr. Gil Van Bokkelen, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Athersys. “We believe that Chugai represents an outstanding partner with strong capabilities in all facets of the development, commercialization and marketing of novel medicines in the Japanese healthcare market. Chugai has been a leader in the development and introduction of innovative biologics and has successfully established one of the top sales forces in prescription drug field in Japan, which we believe represents a key competitive advantage that can help both companies maximize value. Athersys and Chugai are committed to working together to establish a leadership position in the regenerative medicine cell therapy area in Japan

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 06:38 #3599

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 201
For Chuigai they are rolling the dice that their educated guess will be correct and it only cost them $10 million if their wrong.
Astellas spent $7 million with Cytori and did absolutely nothing with their option although CC did give them some stock for playing.

For ATHX, not bad locking in a $10 million (at least) payday but if finances allow why not wait the 2 months to unveil the results and let the bidders come to you ? So, to me, it also seems to be a bit of a hedge.

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 07:29 #3602

• Joncon63
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
At least somebody can close a deal in Japan.

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 08:20 #3604

• mikeadd@twitter
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
If I recall correctly, ATHX targeted their therapy in this indication to the spleen, with the intent of suppressing inflammation. If it works, then it seems to me that this will have far-reaching effects for pretty much all other indications because inflammation is a universal problem. Happy for the folks who stuck with ATHX and feeling just a little dumb for selling my ATHX shares and putting my eggs in CYTX. I don't think I'll mind so much in a couple years though. Cheers 2 all

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 09:10 #3605

• Wall Street Titan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 148
As most here probably know, I've done an inordinate amount of personal research on trying to get as comfortable as possible holding ATHX through the stroke results. I have slightly more shares in ATHX than I do in CYTX. I've regularly been in touch with the CEO and the PI of the trial and, on occasion, with independent authors of a few relevant papers about the role of the spleen. I found one study in mice that didn't confirm all the other evidence and was able to get comfortable after getting an explanation from the PI at Athersys. The issue was related to the timing of a splenectomy in mice too close to the time frame of inducing a stroke. I'm convinced that Athersys has a very good shot for a breakthrough here. This is my most relevant article in case anyone is interested. Since then, I've done more independent research and became more comfortable. There is no sure thing in a clinical trial (except possibly for Phase III Scleroderma based on the strong Phase I) but looks very good, IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joncon63

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 10:02 #3606

• cytxer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I also have ATHX, but I am not sure about this deal - for now.

10 mil is a good risk to take to land a blockbuster, multi-billion dollar technology, so Chugai made a good bet, BUT why would ATHX make this bet now?

I don't like the smell, so I am not buying more.

I've been wrong before though, so....

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 10:25 #3607

• Wall Street Titan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
There is very little up front money in this deal, only $10,000,000 guaranteed. But this gets Athersys moving in Japan and gives them a good chunk of the upside. I was surprised by the timing but the fact that Athersys structured the deal to benefit from good results makes me more optimistic. Adam F called the timing "odd" trying to cast doubt as usual but that was the extent of his comments. Unless we see insider selling ahead of the results, this is bullish, IMHO.

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 12:40 #3610

• Wall Street Titan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting tidbit, the deal with Chugai is essentially a deal with Roche. Roche owns 60% . Roche is also the manufacturer of Cytori's enzyme, as everyone here KNOWS:

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 12:46 #3611

• cytxer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Wall Street Titan wrote: ...but the fact that Athersys structured the deal to benefit from good results makes me more optimistic...IMHO.

Well, the way I see it, ATHX structured the deal to limit the benefit from good result, and made money in case of a bad one.

Also, why say double digit, and not say what the percentage is, 10%, or 25%? "Chris like" news release. Remember that "billion dollar deal" or was it "one half billion dollar deal" then everybody ran from the company.

Anyway, if the results are good, ATHX will be making a fraction of what we thought Japan was worth... why block the bidding war?

Just don't get it.

Anyway, I am not selling any stem cell play, they are in a lockbox.

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 13:19 #3612

• Wall Street Titan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Anyway, if the results are good, ATHX will be making a fraction of what we thought Japan was worth... why block the bidding war?

This is where I disagree with you. Athersys IS STILL THE MANUFACTURER here. We don't KNOW the transfer pricing agreement but on top of paying the royalties and its role of handling the distribution and marketing, Chugai is still purchasing Multi-Stem at a some price that includes a profit margin for Athersys. That markup is not disclosed but we will see it in the gross profit. There may have been a bidding war just to get to this point. GvB is a higher caliber CEO than we have experienced in this nightmare over the last few years, IMHO..

Finally a deal in Japan ATHX and Chugai 02 Mar 2015 13:39 #3613

• cytxer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The good news is that IF the results are GOOD, and when the time is right, then the products will be launched almost overnight to every hospital in Japan- reminds me of what Marc said a couple of years ago. :whistle: :cry:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites